6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, rinsed, trimmed of excess fat and cut into bite-sized pieces
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
8-ounces baby bella mushrooms, rinsed and sliced
1/4 cup white cooking wine
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 small dried bay leaves
1/4 cup sour cream
1-pound dry egg noodles
fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. Toss the chicken with the paprika and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Dust it with flour.
2. Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat- spray with nonstick spray (or add 1 tablespoon olive oil). Add the chicken and sear until browned on all sides, about 7 minutes total. Remove from pan and set aside.
3. Add a smidge more oil to the pan if needed, then toss in the onions and mushrooms. Saute until everything starts to brown and caramelize, 5 minutes.
4. Deglaze the pan with wine and let it sizzle about 1 minute. Add the stock, tomato paste and bay leaves. Stir to combine.
5. Nestle the chicken back in the pan (with its collected juices) and simmer until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce thickens a tad, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the sour cream and simmer 20 more minutes. Give the whole mess a good pinch of salt and pepper.
6. In the meantime, boil your egg noodles until they reach al dente (with still a bit of a bite to them). Drain.
7. Serve the stroganoff over a bed of noodles and garnish with parsley.