SPICY DRUNKEN NOODLES
• Olive oil
• 4 spicy Italian sausage links, casings removed
• 1 large onion, quartered and sliced thinly
• 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
• 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
• 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
• 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (for spice)
• 1 pinch of Red Pepper (to taste)
• 3 Bell Peppers (any color will do, sliced thin)
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/2 cup white wine (I used Chardonnay)
• 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
• 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
• 8 ounces pasta noodles, uncooked
• Place a large, heavy-bottom pan (or Pot) over medium-high heat;
• Add about 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and once the oil is hot, crumble the spicy Italian sausage into the pan in small chunks, allowing it to brown in the oil for a few moments on each side; once the crumbled sausage is browned, remove and set aside.
• Next, add the sliced onion to the pan with the sausage drippings, to caramelize (5 minutes while stirring) add more olive oil if needed, Stir until the onion is golden
• Then add the salt, Italian seasoning and cracked black pepper, cayenne, and red pepper. Stir again.
• Then add in the sliced bell peppers, wait about 2 minutes until they’re a little tender.
• Then add the garlic, wait a couple of minutes. Stir
• Then add in the white wine and allow it to reduce for a few moments (almost completely)
• Then add the diced tomatoes WITH the juice
• Return the browned spicy Italian sausage back into the pan, simmer and stir for around 4 minutes.
• Then turn the heat off;
• Finish the sauce by drizzling about 2-3 good tablespoons of the olive oil to create a silky, rich flavor, add about half the chopped basil; stir (of course) while you prepare the noodles.
• Prepare the noodles according to instructions on package; then, drain the noodles very well, and add them directly into the sauce, stir again
• Taste and add seasonings as needed before serving, I like to top it off with a little Parmesan.