I know this is a lot of ingredients but so incredibly worth it.
• 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
• 1/2 cup apple juice
• 1/4 cup soy sauce
• 1/4 cup light brown sugar
• 1/4 cup ketchup
• 3 tablespoons bourbon
• 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
• 2 tablespoons honey
• 5 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
• 1/2 to 1 teaspoon red chili flakes, to taste
• 1 tablespoon cornstarch
• 1 tablespoon water
• Green onion, for garnish
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together apple juice, soy sauce, light brown sugar, ketchup, bourbon, honey, apple cider vinegar, garlic, ginger and red chili flakes. Add chicken and toss in sauce.
2. Pour into a greased crock pot and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours (depending on your slow cooker) or on low for 7 to 8 hours.
3. Once cooked, remove chicken from sauce and roughly chop. Set aside. Whisk together cornstarch and water until smooth. Set aside.
4. Transfer sauce to a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add cornstarch mixture and bring to a simmer. Continue simmering and stirring until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in chopped chicken. Garnish with green onion and serve over rice and broccoli.