BAKED CHICKEN CACCIATORE
3 or 4 boneless chicken breasts, cubed
2 T. olive oil
2 T. flour
1 1/4 tsp. salt, divided
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1 red bell pepper, cut in 1/2″ wide strips
1 green bell pepper, cut in 1/2″ wide strips
1 large onion, chopped
1 (12 oz.) package fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 (14.5 oz.) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes
1/3 c. dry white wine
1 T. chopped fresh parsley (optional)
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Place olive oil in a large roasting pan; heat in pre-heated oven for 2 minutes.
2. Combine flour, 1 teaspoon of the salt, oregano, and black pepper in a zip-top plastic bag; add cubed chicken and toss to coat. Place coated chicken in the hot oil in the roasting pan; roast for 20 minutes.
3. Add onions, peppers, and mushrooms to the roasting pan; roast for an additional 20 minutes, stirring once.
4. Next, you want to transfer chicken, onions, mushrooms and peppers to big pot with lid.
5. Add tomatoes with the liquid, wine, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt to the pot. Use a spoon or knife to break up the tomatoes. Heat to just about boil, and put on lid. Let simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring often until chicken is tender.
6. Serve with cooked linguine or spaghetti noodles or rice.