STICKY BOURBON CHICKEN WITH RICE
• 1½ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
• ½ cup low sodium soy sauce
• ¼ cup oil
• ¼ cup vinegar
• ¼ cup bourbon
• ¼ cup brown sugar
• 1 tablespoon crushed or sliced ginger (fresh, not dried)
• 4 cloves crushed garlic
• 4-5 green onions, cut into thirds or sliced
• 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
1. THE NIGHT BEFORE: Combine the soy sauce, oil, vinegar, bourbon, and brown sugar in a bowl. Whisk until combined. Place the chicken in a baking dish (a casserole pan or something with high sides) with lid and pour the sauce over the chicken. Toss in the ginger, garlic, and half of the green onions. Cover and marinate overnight (or for as many hours as you have before baking).
2. THE DAY OF: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Uncover the chicken and bake directly in the marinade for 45 minutes, basting the chicken with the sauce periodically and/or turning the pieces upside down to get them baking in the sauce on both sides. Cook the rice according to package
3. When the chicken is done, turn the oven temperature to broil and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes to get a nice, browned exterior on the chicken. Remove and serve whole or cut, with extra sauce and scallions, over the rice.